Melissa A. Hagen specializes in construction, employment, and commercial litigation. She has presented seminars on topics including employment law and real estate broker and agency issues. Ms. Hagen is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, as well as the Eastern and Western Districts of the Michigan federal courts.
Melissa Hagen’s practice includes:
- Litigation in state and federal courts in commercial litigation including construction, construction lien, employment, business, and real estate disputes.
- Litigation in state courts of complex Construction Lien Act and foreclosure matters; advice regarding validity of liens and Lien Act compliance, and priority issues.
- Briefs and argument in the Michigan Supreme Court, Michigan Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Court of Appeals
- Planning, assistance, and advice on disabled persons access regulations for developers, property owners, and tenants.
- Representation and advice for employers including Title VII, Michigan Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Michigan Persons With Disabilities Civil Rights Act, and Michigan Wage and Fringe Benefit Act; representation of employers before the Department of Civil Rights and the Employment Security Commission.
- Drafting employee manuals and policies, employment contracts and severance contracts.
Ms. Hagen is a 1989 graduate of the University of Cincinnati Law School where she served on the Moot Court Board and became a member of the Order of the Barristers. Ms. Hagen is a cum laude graduate of Xavier University with a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and Journalism.