David E. Pierson represents developers and property owners in land use approvals, real estate, economic development and incentives, and environmental law. He acts as counsel to the Michigan Realtors® and the Home Builders Association of Michigan on legislation and state and local regulation of development including the drafting of the Land Division Act, conditional zoning, Critical Dunes, and the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act. He has presented seminars for the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Michigan Realtors®, local Realtor boards, and municipal officials. He is a past Chairperson of the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section 2014-2015, and chaired the Zoning and Land Use Committee of the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section from 2002 to 2013 and 2016 to present. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America in Land Use and Zoning Law and Real Estate Law. Best Lawyers named Mr. Pierson the “Lansing Real Estate Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, 2017, and 2020, and the “Lansing Land Use and Zoning Lawyer of the Year” for 2014.
David Pierson’s practice includes:
- Advice and representation for land owners and developers in development approvals, and in court, for zoning, special use permits, planned unit developments, site plans, subdivisions, land divisions, and site condominiums.
- Brownfield plans and state and local development incentives.
- Litigation in state and federal courts challenging local regulation through zoning, land division, and natural resource controls.
- Advice, planning assistance, and litigation regarding state and local natural resource regulations affecting drains, wetlands, floodplains, woodlands, sand dunes, and inland lakes and streams.
- Counsel on zoning, development, and economic incentive legislation and appellate briefs in the Michigan Supreme Court and Court of Appeals including as amicus curiae in major regulatory takings, zoning, and environmental regulation and natural resource cases.
David Pierson received his B.A. from the University of Michigan and law degree from Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts in 1979.
Awards & Achievements
Mr. Pierson is a past Chairperson of the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section 2014-2015, and chaired the Zoning and Land Use Committee of the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section from 2002 to 2013.
Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for:
- Real Estate Law, Lansing (2017)
- Real Estate Law, Lansing (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Real Estate Law